And it will be a little while longer

And it will be a little while longer. I’m sorry. It has taken me three days and multiple hours to just get this one off. I have managed to load some pictures onto shutterfly.com. Hopefully they will give you a small idea of Woe.

I typed this last night… it is rough and unedited, but it’s a start.

--- The village itself is about three square miles (3x1) bordered by the Keta Lagoon and the ocean. Although there are some families that have moved to the area, the population primarily consists of descendants from the founding families. Nuclear families were/are quite common, so history and paternal lineage influence the growth of the area. There are some common zones: the township which is made of the original ‘family’ houses (cement block construction), the farming strip (mostly block, with some local materials), and the fishermen/fishmongers strip along the coasts (primarily local materials). The structures made from local materials – woven palm leaves, reeds, thatch, etc. – are innately adaptive and readily available. The block structures reflect a different social status, since their construction requires both a significant financial investment and structural expertise. Although cement block construction has been in the area for 50+ years, it is not evident when you look around. The style hasn’t changed or adapted. In fact, there is very little adaptation of the buildings to climate, program, or location. The structures are standard 4-wall compartments, with symmetrical windows, pitched roofs, and the occasional stoop or porch. Electricity is expensive, or shut-off, but there is no shift to bring in sunlight with larger windows or clerestories. The climate is temperate and the breeze is constant, but walls are still solid masses and orientation hasn’t changed. Theft is not a problem, but “security” keeps coming up as a reason for the design. The most adaptive thing about the block structures is that some tin roofs have been treated to withstand corrosion. I have been asking “why” quite a bit when I am walking around, but I have never received answers that make sense. No one seems to know why things are the way they are, or why they haven’t changed although the needs are evident. I am working now on a survey series, to see if I can’t learn more about the history and development of the area.

My first few weeks were a little frustrating. I was told that there was an immediate need for architectural and planning assistance, but with everyone I met (District Assembly, the planning department, etc.) there was no energy in that direction. It finally took a meeting in mid-August with Togbui, the chief, to have a better sense for what was needed. We were talking about the history and background of Woe, and I asked what he would like the village to be in the future. In 5 years? In 10? Everyone in the room was suddenly very excited. I learned later that that question had never been asked before. Although the chief, the elders, members of the community all had ideas of the growth of Woe, they have never discussed goals or the strategies for achieving them.

So my placement now has turned into a visioning program, working with many different members of the community to assess Woe now, and where they would like to be in the future. It is bringing up issues of planning, economics, architecture, social dynamics, and others. Togbui wants me to “dig deep into the heart of Woe” and help them move forward.

I am still working on drawing up a complete map of Woe, but I hope to be finished by the end of the week. Two new volunteers are coming in and will help me with some of the social and anthropological studies. When school starts up again, I’ll have a team of senior secondary students interested in architecture and planning helping me with the maps. I’ll set up afternoon workshops—helping me, and in turn, giving them some experience and knowledge before attending university. ---

There is quite a bit going on, and much more that is coming up, but I am excited and happy. I can’t believe I’m already two months in. I made up a schedule for the next three months, and realized it will go by faster than I want it to. :)

So, that is it for now. It took long enough. I hope things are going well at home. I keep hearing fun stories about power outages and gas shortages. And thank you for the letters… (I have replied, but I have ‘small-small’ faith in the speed of the Ghana Postal Service.)

Love you all. I miss you. Brie


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.